Oligen Senior 50/60 years
NUTRITIONAL RECOMMENDATIONS: AGING
With age there are physiological changes in the body composition and in the function of various organs. Some changes come from one's physiology that affects all individuals, including those directly related to nutrition. Other changes result from pathological factors and they influence longevity and the quality of life. Finally, a third type of changes are related to our nutritional habits and lifestyle.
In the aging process various types of losses occur in lesser or greater degree, in which nutrition can play an important role1:
- Muscular, by decreased muscle mass and increased body fat
- Bone and joint, by decreased bone mass and cartilages
- Senses, primarily vision and hearing, and cognitive faculties
- Immune system, loss of defenses and increased susceptibility to diseases
In many of these situations it is beneficial to supplement the diet with those nutrients and substances where it is known or suspected an insufficient intake, comprising docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), most of vitamins and minerals, and substances such as choline, uridine, resveratrol and lycopene.
In our country the average intake of vitamins A and D, zinc, iodine and DHA in men and women aged 50-60 years is less than the recommendations
Taking into account both the physiological needs of these nutrients and substances and their intake levels in the Spanish population over 50-60 years, the most necessary and their daily amount have been selected:
- Vitamins: A, D, E, C, B1, B2, B6, B12, folate and pantothenic acid
- Minerals: magnesium, zinc, iodine, copper, selenium, chromium and manganese
- Other substances: soy lecithin (phospholipids/choline), uridine monophosphate (UMP), resveratrol and lycopene
DHA 80% TG enzymatic: 400 mg
More than 90% of total fatty acids Omega-3
According to reports from the EFSA (European Food Safety Authority)
· DHA contributes to the maintenance of normal vision 2, together with vitamin A, B1 and Zinc, and of normal brain function2 (with a daily intake of 250 mg of DHA).
· EPA and DHA contribute to the normal function of the heart (with a daily intake of 250 mg of EPA and DHA), together with vitamin B1.
10 VITAMINS: coverage of extra needs or not covered
Vitamin D and decrease in the risk of falls
Reports from the EFSA on vitamin D and the decrease in the risk of falls3
· Vitamin D helps reduce the risk of falls associated with postural instability and muscle weakness. Falls are a risk factor for bone fractures in men and women from aged 60 years. The beneficial effect is obtained with a daily intake of 20 mg of vitamin D from all sources, including the daily 15μg provided by Oligen Senior. Bone fractures have multiple risk factors and altering one of these risk factors may or may not have a beneficial effect.
Vitamins B6, B9, B12, choline and homocysteine
Reports from the EFSA on the role of these substances and homocysteine:
· Vitamins B6, B9 (folate), B12 and choline participate in the metabolism of homocysteine4,5,6,7. Hyperhomocysteinemia is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease and cognitive deficits8
7 MINERALS: coverage of extra needs or not covered
Zinc and Iodine: body functions
Reports from the EFSA on the role of zinc and iodine in several body functions:
· Zinc contributes to the maintenance of normal bones and vision in normal conditions and to the normal function of the immune system, cognitive function and to the protection of cells from oxidative stress9. It also participates in the maintenance of normal hair, nails amd skin in normal conditions10.
· Iodine contributes to the maintenance of normal skin in normal conditions11 and to normal functioning of the nervous System and to normal cognitive function12.
Other substances: coverage of extra needs or not covered
Phospholipids / choline, UMP, resveratrol and lycopene
· Phospholipids and choline (from soy lecithin), and monophosphate uridine (MUP) are involved in the formation of neuronal membranes and synapses.
· Resveratrol (from grape skin) and lycopene (from tomatoes) are substances with antioxidant effect, which add to vitamins E, C and B2, zinc, copper, selenium and manganese.
Recommended daily dosatge:
List of ingredients
Fish oil DHA 80%, soy lecithin, vegetable oils (palm and coconut), magnesium oxide, tomato (lycopene source), uridine monophosphate, emulsifier (yellow beeswax), L-ascorbic acid, resveratrol (grape skin extract), DL-α-tocopheryl acetate, zinc oxide, calcium D-pantothenate, manganese sulfate, retinyl palmitate, cholecalciferol, cyanocobalamin, cupric sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, potassium iodate, antioxidants (α, β γ, δ-tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate and propyl gallate), chromium picolinate, pteroylmonoglutamic acid and sodium selenite. Capsule: fish gelatin, glycerin and coloring product (sweet potato concentrate, cherry, apple, radish).
The presence of lipids in Oligen Senior (fish oil, soy lecithin, vegetable oils) increases the absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E) and lycopene.
1. Ribera Casado JM. Nutrición en Personas Mayores. Kellogg’s. Coordinación: Carvajal Azcona A, Martínez Roldán C. Manual práctico de nutrición y salud. Ed Exlibris ediciones SL. Madrid. 2012. p. 223-238.
2. EFSA Journal 2010;8(10):1734 y 2011;9(4):2078
3. EFSA Journal 2011;9(9) :2382
4. EFSA Journal 2010;8(10):1759
5. EFSA Journal 2009;7(9):1213
6. EFSA Journal 2010;8(10):4114
7. EFSA Journal 2011;9(4):2056
8. Gil Hernández A. Tratado de Nutrición. Bases fisiológicas y bioquímicas de la nutrición, vol. 1, 2010, p. 533-535
9. EFSA Journal 2009;7(9):1229
10. EFSA Journal 2010;8(10):1819
11. EFSA Journal 2009;7(9):1214
12. EFSA Journal 2010;8(10):1800
Website owner http://www.ifigen.net
IFIGEN 2011, S.L.
NIF (taxpayer identification number) B-65680647
Domiciled in Avda. Príncep d’Astúries 20 1r B, 08012 BARCELONA
For contacting the company directly:
Ownership of the website and content:
Thanks for visiting http://www.ifigen.net, owned by IFIGEN 2011 S.L. at all times.
Intellectual property rights over the works contained in http://www.ifigen.net belong exclusively to IFIGEN 2011 S.L. unless otherwise indicated in the works themselves. The unauthorized reproduction, distribution, marketing or transformation of the works constitutes an infringement of the intellectual rights of IFIGEN 2011 S.L. or of the owner of such rights, and may lead to any applicable in-court or out-of-court actions on the exercise of those rights. Additionally, the information accessed by the user through this website may be protected by industrial, intellectual or other type of property rights. IFIGEN 2011 S.L. shall on no account be held liable for the infringement of such rights by the user.
Personal data protection:
IFIGEN 2011 S.L. keeps a file with personal data with the personal data of the users solely for the purposes of providing the services correctly.
By entering personal data in the required fields in the forms, users expressly accept clearly and unequivocally their inclusion in this file of personal data.
Website users willingly and freely provide personal data (Personal Data) and expressly, fully and without reserves accept that IFIGEN 2011 S.L. will process them by automated means and include them in a file with the purpose of providing and offering services, a file for which IFIGAN 2011 S.L. is responsible and that is registered with the competent authorities.
Personal data included in the abovementioned file of personal data will be used with the purpose, in the form and with the limitations established in Spanish Organic Law 15/1999 of December 13 on the Protection of Personal Data and its regulations.
Likewise, please be informed that as owner of the personal data being processed you may freely exercise your right to access, modify, cancel and oppose your data or withdraw your authorization in accordance with Spanish Law 15/1999, in agreement with the established procedure. The abovementioned rights may be exercised by emailing email@example.com or by mailing a letter to the person in charge of the file to the domicile established for communication purposes: IFIGEN 2011 S.L. Avda. PrÍncep D’Astúries 20, 1r B, 08012 BARCELONA
IFIGEN 2011 S.L. guarantees that they have adopted the appropriate security measures in its facilities, systems and files. Also, IFIGEN 2011 S.L. guarantees the confidentiality of Personal Data, although it will disclose to competent public authorities Personal Data or any other information in its possession or that can be accessed through its systems, that is requested in accordance with provisions laid down by law and applicable to the case.
The Clients of www.ifigen.net guarantee and are responsible in all cases for the veracity, precision, validity and authenticity of the Personal Data provided.
IFIGEN 2011 S.L. implements safety procedures regarding the storage and disclosure of data in order to avoid any unauthorized access to them, in accordance with Article 9 in Organic Law 15/1999 of December 13 on the Protection of Personal Data, applicable in Spain.
IFIGEN 2011 S.L. may install cookies in your computer with the purpose of gathering statistic information about the Website visitors. Such data will never be of personal nature. Also, if you browser does not allow you to do this automatically, we inform you that you can disable the installation of cookies by following the user instructions of your browser.
The use of the Website implies acceptance of the conditions laid down in this Legal Warning.
IFIGEN 2011 S.L. disclaims any liability for any outdated information that may appear on the WEBSITE.
IFIGEN 2011 S.L. is not liable for the content of other websites that may be accessed from www.ifigen.net, as it does not have the capacity or the power to review the legality of such contents.
Likewise, IFIGEN 2011 S.L. cannot be held liable for the transmission of any application referred to as "virus" or for any damage to your hardware occurred as consequence of your access to this Website.
Applicable law and jurisdiction
This agreement shall be governed by the laws of Spain. Both parties, expressly waiving any other jurisdiction that they may be entitled to for reasons of domicile, consent to the jurisdiction of the Courts and Tribunals of the city of Barcelona.